Tuesday, March 6, 2007

DOUGHNUT



Many doughnut stores are around the corner. One of them is Krispy Kreme doughnut which is opened up in Erie, PA about 3 years ago. It is very popular with their glazed doughnut which usually they serve them warm. One thing that I love about Krispy Kreme, their doughnut is so soft and WOW it is delicious! The stores have a neon sign, when a neon sign is on it tells customers that hot and fresh doughnut are coming off the line. It is also mean that they have free glazed doughnut! Customers are waiting on the line, are served with delicious and free warm glazed doughnut. That is my favorite moment!

My husband is a doughnut lover. His best choices are apple fritter and custard filled. I myself love chocolate glazed doughnut. Yep, I am quite chocolate mania. So it doesn’t work with my diet and no wonder I can’t get rid of my baby fat!

SO I don’t know why while Krispy Kreme store is in town I am making some doughnuts? It happened by reading one of my multiply online buddy IRMA. She posted homemade Krispy Kreme doughnut then I though why don’t I give my self a chance to try and make some. And I am happy with this recipe, I think you should try too:)

Ingredients:

2 pkg regular or rapid rise yeast
¼ cup warm water
1 ½ cups lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
½ cup confectioner sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening
5 cups all purpose flour
Vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. Dissolve yeast in warm in 2 ½ quart bowl.

  2. Add milk, salt, eggs, shortening, sugar and 2 cups of flour. Beat on low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes and scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in remaining flour until smooth.


  3. Cover and let rise in warm place until double approximately 50 to 60 minutes. (Dough is ready when indentation remains when touched).


  4. Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour. Gently roll dough ½ inch thick with floured rolling pin. Cut with floured doughnut cutter. Cover and let rise until double for about 30 to 40 minutes.


  5. Head vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees. Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula. Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side. Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain.


  6. Dip the doughnuts into creamy glaze set on rack then when slightly cooled spread chocolate glaze on top.
Creamy Glaze

1/3 cup butter
2 cups confectioner sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
4 to 6 tbsp hot water

Heat butter until melted; remove from heat. Stir in confectioner sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add water about 1 tbsp at a time and keep stirring until desired consistency.

Chocolate Glaze

1/3 cup butter
2 cups confectioner sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
4 to 6 tbsp hot water
4 oz milk chocolate chips or semi sweet chips

Heat butter and chocolate over low heat until chocolate is melted; remove from heat. Stir in confectioner sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in water about 1 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency.

No comments: